Details of the Restricted and Rescheduled event
In order to comply with Government guidelines surrounding COVID-19, Sail Training has been restricted to Stage 2, Stage 3 and Start Racing and has been rescheduled to August 24th – 29th.
There will be a maximum of 30 on the water on any day, including all instructors, volunteers, safety boat crews and participants. We are providing 2 or 3 day courses for these stages in groups of a maximum of 5 children and 1 instructor.
Format of the week (dates to be decided)
- Start Racing (three days)
The terms and conditions have been updated to reflect COVID -19.
Each group will be allocated one safety boat which should be sufficient given group sizes. Ideally, it will be helmed by an Instructor and operated without a crew (depending on boat availability).
This is one of the biggest challenges to overcome in respect of social distancing and the RYA has provided guidance – link below.
There are various techniques which can mitigate the risk, in particular recovering someone with their back to the craft (as opposed to facing which is the typical method).
Wind direction is going to be as important as wind strength with a risk assessment carried out each day. Wind chill will have to be taken into consideration particularly given that we will be running sail training later in the summer with limited (if no) clubhouse facilities available. If conditions are deemed unsuitable then there will be no sailing.
At this stage, we assume there are no facilities available apart from the disabled WC in an ‘emergency’.
We suggest children arrive kitted up ready to go on the water, with parents collecting them as soon as they come off the water.
Theory will be conducted on the beach or in the sailing club grounds and possibly later in the day once children have gone home to change etc.
Given the size of groups, it should be manageable for the Instructor to deal with the launching and recovery of their stage. Nick Williams (chief instructor) will co-ordinate this each day to ensure a phased approach to avoid crowding on the hard etc. Stage 2 and 3 will be towed out each day with racers following a similar approach unless conditions permit to sail to/from the hard.
Given the size of event, we won’t need the typical all participants and parents briefing at the beginning of the week. Nick will hold an initial and daily briefing (outside) for instructors and volunteers only.
Guidance on Coronavirus
Please take care to observe the following: if anyone in your family has a fever or high temperature, a new continuous cough, or a loss of or change to their sense of smell or taste, you must not bring your child to sail training, and must self isolate at home in line with current guidance.
For those travelling abroad before sail training please follow Government guidance on self-isolation on return to England unless the country is covered by the travel corridor exemption. Countries and territories can be taken off or added to this list at any time so please stay up to date with current travel corridors
For any further information or queries please email Georgie and Charlie at firstname.lastname@example.org.
BSSC Sail Training Committee